[tex-live] reducing cbgreek needs .fd's

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Sep 2 15:16:50 CEST 2004

The cbgreek fonts are one of the largest components in TeX Live, as
we've discussed from time to time.

Claudio (Beccari, the author) has agreed that it makes sense to have a
reduced set for distribution on physical media.  Hans has prepared
such a set:
http://www.pragma-pod.com/downloads/temp/cbsmall.zip

It includes 8/10/12pt design sizes of the commonly-used fonts, leaving
the rest to be scaled, and omitting invisible/upright fonts.  There are
plenty of other options for how to do the reduction, of course, but this
is the one that Claudio, Hans, Sebastian, and I reached consensus on.  I
suppose we can discuss if anyone feels strongly.

What's needed before we replace the current cbgreek are appropriate
LaTeX .fd files.  (Hans made the ConTeXt support files, not
surprisingly.)  It shouldn't be a big job to make the .fd's, for people
familiar with them.  Can anyone volunteer to do this (soon)?

Thanks,
karl