[tex-live] Bug in updmap?!

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Oct 29 14:25:08 CEST 2004

Fabrice Popineau wrote:

>This year BachoTeX meeting ended up with a bunch of "recommendations"
>(call them the name you want) to make this project behave more
>correctly.

Please, lets not go back to that!

>Most  things  that   are  input into  TeXLive   are   without  any prior
>discussion.

That's not at all fair. There is endless discussion on this list and others,
and both Thomas and Olaf (who do most of the work in this area) have
a very conservative attitude toward change, for which I salute them. It is,
if I may so, _you_ who is more cavalier about introducing changes and
additions
to the system!

>My position will be very clear: I give up unless someone can prove that
>this mess is going somewhere.

I expect people are saying that daily on lists for 1001 projects all
over the world.
It's the price we pay for a semi-democratic loose organisation. For the
most part,
it works moderately well, but it does not respond well to a crisis.
Thats a group
responsibility to sort out, which isn't solved by shouting at Gerben.
Both you and Gerben
have a tendency to get angry and shout at people, but I don't think it
ever helps.

For what its worth, yes, I know I have in the past been as emotional as
you and Gerben,
with an equal desire to blame someone :-}

Sebastian