[tex-live] Bug in updmap?!

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Oct 28 01:57:35 CEST 2004

    This kind of syntax is weird.

Well, whitespace between option names and values predates --opt=value by
a good many years and is the standard in POSIX, etc.  (Not that I like
it, myself.)

    Perl has getopt().

Yes, and Perl getopt supports "--opt value" as well as "--opt=value".
I believe Vladimir's original bug report shows that this is not the
problem, although I can't investigate for sure.

Furthermore, it appears to me that the original updmap shell script also
supports "--opt value" and "--opt=value".

So as far as this minor detail goes, I think everything is ok.

(And I agree with your implied suggestion that it would be better if we
all used the same code that could run on any platform.  Meanwhile, life
is short.)