[tex-live] TL2004: adding a map to pdftex only

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Tue Oct 19 11:48:28 CEST 2004

> \pdfmapfile{+myfonts.map}
> in your document

With dvips and (old) pdftex, it was possible to set up fonts globally
on the system in a way that does not affect documents.  Now, if we add
such things into documents, it will make them less portable.

I thought that it would at least be possible to use pdftexconfig.tex and
to store the information about map files in the format. While this is
already a step back (format generation time vs. document processing time),
it did not even work in my tests. Adding

  \catcode`\{=1
  \catcode`\}=2
  \pdfmapfile{+foo.map}
  \catcode`\{=12
  \catcode`\}=12

to pdftexconfig.tex did not cause foo.map to be read (neither at format
generation time nor while processing a document using the new format).

Does this mean, that we can only define the map files in the documents
and no longer anywhere outside? Or, does it mean that updmap will be
the only way to set up fonts globally for pdftex?

Thomas