[tex-live] TEXINPUTS problem

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Oct 18 09:16:00 CEST 2004

Akira Kakuto wrote:
>>all format names unique, no subdir:
>>    -TEXFORMATS = .;$TEXMF/web2c/{$engine,}//
>>    +TEXFORMATS = .;$TEXMF/web2c
>

> I think there are users who need both
> $TEXMF/web2c/aleph/cont-en.fmt and
> $TEXMF/web2c/pdfetex/cont-en.fmt,

indeed

> mainly for that purpose $engine had been introduced.

when dropping the different suffixes in favor of one the engine subpath
was introduced as a means to distinguish formats; now dropping the
{$engine,} part sounds strange to me; it also sort of renders future
discussions about changes in tds/web2c useless

so, i vote against dropping {#engine,}

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE