[tex-live] TEXINPUTS problem

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Oct 16 19:28:39 CEST 2004

On 16 Oct 2004, at 2:52 pm, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2004, at 12:41, Olaf Weber wrote:
>
>> Akira Kakuto writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> The above shows that TEXINPUTS.xetex is not defined and the
>>> default TEXINPUTS is used.
>>> However, tex/generic/babel/hyphen.cfg should be found first
>>> compared with tex/cslatex/hyphen.cfg, even in the above setting.
>>
>> Exactly.
>>
>>> I suspect that xetex is based on the other Kpathsearch, because
>>> the banner says Web2C 7.5.2:
>>
>>> This is XeTeX, Version 3.14159-2.1-0.871 (Web2C 7.5.2) (INITEX)
>>
>> For this purpose, the kpathsea version should not make a differemce.

It seems that it does. I installed a TL2004 setup, and confirmed that
kpsewhich finds babel/hyphen.cfg using either the program-specific
TEXINPUTS or the default:

Kew-PowerBookG4:~ jonathan$ kpsewhich --progname latex hyphen.cfg
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/babel/hyphen.cfg
Kew-PowerBookG4:~ jonathan$ kpsewhich --progname cslatex hyphen.cfg
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/cslatex/hyphen.cfg
Kew-PowerBookG4:~ jonathan$ kpsewhich hyphen.cfg
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/babel/hyphen.cfg

However, when I run an older kpsewhich (not sure of the precise Web2C
version it's from; it's a year or so old) with the TL2004 texmf tree, I
get different results:

Kew-PowerBookG4:~ jonathan$ kpsewhich-old --progname latex hyphen.cfg
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/babel/hyphen.cfg
Kew-PowerBookG4:~ jonathan$ kpsewhich-old --progname cslatex hyphen.cfg
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/cslatex/hyphen.cfg
Kew-PowerBookG4:~ jonathan$ kpsewhich-old hyphen.cfg
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/cslatex/hyphen.cfg   <<-- here's
the problem case

So it appears that the behavior of kpathsearch has changed along the
way.

An immediate fix for the XeTeX problem with TL2004, as Gerben has
already established, is to add TEXINPUTS.xetex and TEXINPUTS.xelatex
entries to the configuration. In any case, I'll update the Web2C
version used for XeTeX sometime soon, to bring it into line with the
rest of the tools.

Jonathan