[tex-live] unix/windows inst, binaries

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Thu Oct 7 07:14:41 CEST 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> >1. before building everynight .iso, texmf/list/ should be updated
> surely this is already in the rebuild script?

Sorry, that's my mistake

> >2. I've observed that everynight tlrebuild can break correct/updated
> >   .tpm files, e.g. I updated mex and also mex.tpm (#6100), but
> >   after that tlrebuild spoiled mex.tpm (#6105), so some small additions
> >   dissapeared
> >
> you need to look at why. the assumption is that FP's tpm-mangler
> is safe to run on every file. If its not, please diagnose it!

Well, I got a kind explanation from Fabrice, so I believe I can include
it here for let other people know what's going on
(briefly, I added some new directories below tex/mex/ for the utf8
variant of mex, submited the stuff with modified .tpm; nightly recheck
of .tpm files removed my additions from mex.tpm. That's all about my
surprise):

FP> Because there needs to be rules. TDS is only half-way.
FP> Because the script can't guess some things. If you replace mex by
FP> latex, that would mean the latex (base) package would catch all the
FP> latex addons.
FP> Your mex package being a format, only files into mex/base/ and
FP> mex/config/ are looked for. In your case, you need to create a new
FP> tpm package and make it a requirement for mex.

> >OK. but small programs like diff, grep or wget could be handy...
> >
> for goodness sake, this is a typesetting distribution,
> not an operating system distribution. If you want to convert
> Windows people to use a decent system, give them Knoppix,
> don't cover up the cracks with copies of diff and grep

I'm so sorry... My intention was to include some small files.
I didn't want to get you irritated, but please have a look what
we have in /MacOSX

-----
some new comments, concerning TL-inst (7 Oct):
full installation works OK (many thanks), also with some more bin
platforms added.
I tried also "create symlinks in standard directories" and it works
well for binaries, but failed for info and man pages.
install-pkg (live variant) flyies well with various options (Karl,
thanks for correcting it!).
install-pkg (inst) failed for most options.

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl