[tex-live] TeX Live 2004 final vs development

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 13:30:48 CET 2004

Hello,

I was using TeX Live 2004 development snapshots very happily and was not
planning to upgrade to the final official version because those snapshots
were only a few weeks old (the time when Karl Berry requested the re-build
of binaries).

However, a friend of mine whom I advised to upgrade from TeX Live 2003 to
TeX Live 2004 reported a huge performance increase for the sort of stuff
he was doing (which is quite similar to my stuff as he is also doing
Bibles, only interlinear russian-greek ones whilst mine are in greek and
hebrew).

Now I am hesitating whether I should upgrade as well? The reason I am
asking here is because sometimes (e.g. for Linux kernel development) the
software contains various "debug checks" which are enabled during
development and disabled in the final release which can cause a serious
performance increase even though the software is otherwise exactly the
same.

So, I am asking TeX Live experts --- are there any such things practiced
here? I.e. could it be that the final official iso is much faster than a
development snapshot taken almost immediately before because of such
"debug code" being disabled?

Kind regards
Tigran