[tex-live] TL2004 - inst - installation

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Nov 20 18:23:49 CET 2004

    It's probably a well-known problem,

Nope, never saw it before.  Glad you looked, we are close to burning the
discs.

    Unpacking zip files for packages...
    ...................warning:  symbolic link (bin/i386-linux/amstex) failed

It only complained about those four symbolic links?  Because there are a
lot more than that.

    and ultimately the file attributes are wrong on those files.

Meaning what?  It doesn't create a symlink?

In any case, I surmise this is something about the unzip in Fedora Core 3
and the zip we used to create them (see below) not being compatible.  Sigh.
I'm not sure what we can do about it or how to work around it.

The inst image basically just contains zip files of the various
packages (while the live image leaves them uncompressed).  These zip
files are in the archive/ directory at the top level, for instance,
bin-amstex.i386-linux.zip.  Are there any options or compatibility
settings or anything which get the right results?

Thanks,
karl

For what it's worth, the zip files are being created with:

$ zip -v
Copyright (C) 1990-1999 Info-ZIP
Type 'zip "-L"' for software license.
This is Zip 2.3 (November 29th 1999), by Info-ZIP.
Currently maintained by Onno van der Linden. Please send bug reports to
the authors at Zip-Bugs at lists.wku.edu; see README for details.

Latest sources and executables are at ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/infozip, as of
above date; see http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/Zip.html for other sites.

Compiled with gcc 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98) for Unix (Linux ELF) on Aug  1 2002.

Zip special compilation options:
	ASM_CRC
	ASMV
	USE_EF_UT_TIME