[tex-live] Structure proposal for TL2005

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Wed Nov 17 22:35:44 CET 2004

> platforms, binaries can be out of sync ... pool files can be out of sync
> ... and format files can be incompatible

Right, but these files are architecture independend. When derived from the
same version of the sources, they can be shared by different platforms.

You can get "out of sync", but only by using the wrong version. You
don't get "out of sync" by using the wrong architecture.

So, in fact, you are using multiple versions of these files; each of
them would work on any platform (if used with the right vresion of
the binaries).

This is what I mean by saying that your texmf-<arch> is in reality more
a texmf-<some-version>.

Thomas