[tex-live] TL2004: Technical problems and testing

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri May 7 09:49:42 CEST 2004

On May 7, 2004, at 00:29, Martin Schröder wrote:

> - Search paths: The search paths for encoding files, map files
>   and scripts have been changed so that existing texmf-trees must
>   be reorganized. The change itself is a good thing, but giving
>   up downward compatibility is too big a risk. This could ruin
>   TeXLive's reputation.
>   Proposed solution: Add the old locations of the files to
>   texmf.cnf and if needed change kpathsea so that the old
>   locations are also searched.

I agree with Thomas that I do not like this. And let me add:
- not doing a real change remove all pressure on people to change.
- most users use a standard tree, the ones who have extra stuff are
generally somewhat knowledgeable. This is certainly true on Mac OS X
where I have users who start out with TeX because it produces beautiful
output but who have trouble understanding what a program is, an editor,
a file format, etc. This is becoming a serious problem. I have noticed
that more complete newbies contact me these days.

Shouldn't it be possible to write a script that translates an old-style
tree to a new-style tree?