[tex-live] last weekend changes

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Tue Mar 23 22:26:45 CET 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Thomas Esser wrote:

> > pdftexconfig.tex has nothing to do when \pdfoutput=0 so reading
> > one more file seems redundant.
>
> Make your own test:
>   latex -ini latex.ltx # so without reading pdftexconfig
>   latex '\pdfoutput=1\input sample2e'
>
> Then:
>   latex -ini latex.ini # with pdftexconfig
>   latex '\pdfoutput=1\input sample2e'
>
> And compare the two versions of sample2e.pdf. Which one do you prefer? :-)

Good examples! ;-) But... somehow crazy. I'd prefer to stick that
running latex means producing .dvi and running pdflatex - .pdf.
And not telling the people about such possibilities ;-)

Anyway, we have something more interesting:
so many existing documents already have
  \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined
    .... % concerning dvi
  \else
    \usepackage{yy} % pdf
Now, even for latex run \pdfoutput is always known, so I'd tend
to put into some .ini (latex, mex etc.) files just
\pdfoutput=0\let\pdfoutput\undefined

Thanks,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz