[tex-live] Restructuring

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Mar 13 00:55:37 CET 2004

On Mar 13, 2004, at 00:44, Fabrice Popineau wrote:

>> It is not just worry. It would probably end my internet distribution
>> effort completely as there would be no reasonable strategy for me
>> (afaics) to keep it maintained.
>
> But is the current layout something you can work with ?

I get the feeling "not easily". The tex4ht example is something I
immediately ran into when I tried to update my distro with the current
state of Master. Building my distro in the current setup would require
for me to download parts of TL first in a temp dir, then restructuring
then building my gnutar archive from it. Until now, I could just
generate the archive from the Master tree.

> I hope we can go a bit further than the separation between Build/ and
> Master/: for me the bin/ + texmf/ should be a tlcore and texmf-dist/
> should be distribution independent.

There is more (see my other mail). I think the most important thing to
keep in mind is that TL is not only used for CD/DVD-distribution. It is
*also* used as the basis of my *internet* distribution, which is
updated regularly and for which you do not want the users (without
C-compilers and such as is the case for me) have to download everything
if only a small part was changed.

I still do not understand why part of tex4ht is in texmf and part is in
texmf-dist.