[tex-live] autoconf hell

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Mar 2 15:06:08 CET 2004

    undefined macro: pb_AC_ASM_UNDERSCORE

Sounds like a Peter Breitenlohner macro that is not included in the
current texk .m4's -- I seem to remember him sending that to me, many
years ago.  I wonder if Web2c still has any assembly code in the first
place.

    ../../texk/etc/autoconf/acsite.m4:18: the top level
    autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1

Why are you rerunning autoconf, anyway?  I've never understood the need
to do this.  All it can do is cause trouble.  Can't you just use the
configure and Makefile.in's that come with the distributions?

After all, it's not inconceivable that some distribution require version
x, and others version x-1.  It would practically impossible to do so in
that case.

For the next version of Texinfo, I enabled "maintainer mode", so the
rebuilding rules won't be included at all (since apparently p4 cannot
preserve timestamps :).  Perhaps Eddie should do that too.  I will write
to him.