[tex-live] volunteer to implement lcab compression?

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Thu Jun 10 09:04:52 CEST 2004

> I know this is not a first class solution. But would it be possible to
> use MAKECAB.EXE from
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dncabsdk/html/cabdl.asp
> which runs under windows and using wine it also runs under Linux or
> *BSD?

I *strongly* oppose any solution that makes no use of an open source tool,
even more one that *only* works in a Windows environment.

I also wonder if cab is such a good idea if it (as I understand it) does
not support permissions.

As far as I'm concerned we should *not* use the cab format unless we have
an open source portable tool to create them. And as I understand it,
Fabrice can use zip inside cab, so he can go ahewd with zip on the Windows
platform.