[tex-live] fwd: \delta in overfull \hboxes screws up xterm

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Jul 15 01:51:11 CEST 2004

    karl> Do any *languages* need codes <32 printable?
    wl> Vietnamese (both VSCII and VISCII encoding, IIRC).

Oh, well, then it's hopeless.

   hans> only terminal then, not files!
   dak> I really think that there should be no difference between log and
   dak> terminal output.

Oh, well, then it's even more hopeless.

Guys, these are logically inconsistent requirements.  I see everyone's
point and don't think anyone is "wrong" ... but we can't make TL fulfill
all of this (by default).

So I think the question is what takes precedence:
1) "clean" pure 8-bit approach.
2) "mixed" 7.5-bit approach to terminal, 8-bit files (new implementation
   work needed).
3) "mixed" 7.5-bit approach to both terminal and files.

Personally, I think writing binary codes < 32 to the terminal is the
most important thing to avoid.  It can mess up users who are simply
trying to do exactly has always worked and what Knuth documents. But
that's just my opinion.  What do others think?  Thomas, Olaf, Fabrice,
Staszek, Sebastian?

Anyway, I'm shutting down my computer in a few minutes and it will stay
off for about a week (long-planned trip).  I'll be back online next
Friday or so.

Good luck.

karl