[tex-live] fwd: \delta in overfull \hboxes screws up xterm

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Jul 14 10:34:32 CEST 2004

Vladimir Volovich <vvv at vsu.ru> writes:

> Or at least, TeX's output to *terminal* should honor the locale's
> isprint() properties. All other output (to log files, \write,
> \special, etc) MAY use 8-bit, if one wants to, but there's no reason
> to insist on "pure 8-bit" for output to *terminal*.

You mean, like AUCTeX which correlates the output of error messages on
the terminal with input lines?

Sorry, but when TeX is running inside of a TeX shell (writing into a
pipe or pseudo terminal) there are valid reasons for wanting 8bit
throughput.  So while we don't want a _default_ print-through setting
probably, we at least want an option to have the terminal output go
through.

It is not sufficient here to just have the log file work out: if I am
using TeX in interactive mode, it is the terminal messages that I have
to analyze since they are up to date and flushed.