[tex-live] Port of TeX Live to x86_64 architecture?

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 11:54:37 CEST 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> >Btw, it took about 4 minutes to compile
> >
> pretty good!

actually, I used the generic IDE support because the chipset-specific
driver for this hardware is still being developed. This means that instead
of about 60-70M/sec disk io I was getting only about 3.6M/sec. Therefore,
with the proper IDE chipset driver (when it is ready) this machine will
become even more fantastic performance-wise.

In fact, its performance is currently tolerable only due to 2.6 kernel's
very clever io strategy. With older kernels working on 3.6M/sec hard disk
is horrible...

Kind regards
Tigran