[tex-live] Re: [tex-k] .enc, .map and texmf.cnf

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Fri Feb 20 07:00:32 CET 2004

Hi Staszek,

since I have done most (all?) of the changes that you quote, I'll tell
you why I made each of these changes.

> 1. dvips still searches .enc files along TEXPSHEADERS, but .map files
>    are now searched only in TEXFONTMAPS

Yes. I wrote earlier about it: when writing output, dvips searches along
TEXPSHEADERS for each included file. Until this is split up in the code
(enc, type1, prologues), TEXPSHEADERS has to catch all of them. Not nice,
but not so easy to change. Tom? Tomas?

> 4. making such big and radical (nomen omen :) cleaning, why not changing
>    TEXCONFIG finally to e.g. DVIPSCONFIG (to avoid special notes ;-)
>    (see new PDFTEXCONFIG introduced). Tomas and Tom?

:-)

> < VARTEXFONTS  =   $VARTEXMF/fonts
> > VARTEXFONTS  =   /var/tmp/texfonts
> Hmm... should be reverted because of Windows (can be changed on unices
> during installation or when running texconfig).

Yes, we need to find a solution for that mismatch.

> < % this is also where pdftex finds included figures files!
> No more true?

I have done a test with a recent version of pdftex and it has looked
along TEXINPUTS for included figures.

> < T1FONTS =  .;$TEXMF/fonts/{type1,pfb}//;$TEXMF/fonts/misc/hbf//
> > T1FONTS =  .;$TEXMF/fonts/type1//
> I've never used .hbf, but there is no any special variable for them.

pfb is wrong, type1 is right (TDS). hbf? I could not find anything like
this in our tree, so I have removed it from the path.

> < TTFONTS =  .;$TEXMF/fonts/{truetype,ttf}//
> > TTFONTS =  .;$TEXMF/fonts/truetype//

ttf is wrong, truetype is right (TDS).

> < TEXCONFIG =  $TEXMF/{dvips,fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,}}//
> > TEXCONFIG =  $TEXMF/dvips//

TEXCONFIG is no longer used for map/enc.

> < INDEXSTYLE = .;$TEXMF/makeindex//;$TEXMF/tex//
> > INDEXSTYLE = .;$TEXMF/makeindex//

That just has looked wrong to me. If anybody knows a reason why
INDEXSTYLE should search tex//, please stand up.

> < DVIPDFMINPUTS =  .;$TEXMF/{dvipdfm,{dvips,fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,}}}//
> No more needed?

Right, because the automatic default for <progname>INPUTS is
  .;$TEXMF/<progname>//

And, we use the new paths for map/enc.

> < XDVIINPUTS=.;$TEXMF/{xdvi,{dvips,fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,}}}//
> No more needed?

Right.

Thomas