[tex-live] texlive 2003 -- acronym package missing doc

Harald Harders h.harders at tu-bs.de
Wed Feb 11 13:20:18 CET 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> > But is there a way to guarantee that the documentation for a package is
> > installed?
>
> not at present :-}

In my opinion, it is one of the main tasks to define a procedure that
guarantees the documentation to be installed, too. At work, I have a teTeX
installation with all documentation installed. It is nice simply to type
in "texdoc packagename" and to get the documentation. At home, I use
TeXLive 8, and with 50% to 60% of my attempts, the documentation is not
installed. This really nervs me. I have already thought to delete TeXLive
and use teTeX, again.
  Because I think it is worth having one TeX distribution for both Windows
and Linux, I prefer to use TeXLive. But the problem with the documentation
has to be solved.

> >  BTW, why do you throw away existing dvi files? Couldn't that be
> > a possibility to provide ready made dvi files for documentation in
> > TeXLive?
>
> I regard the CTAN -> TL conversion as also a test of the
> package. If I cannot compile its docmentation, I don't put
> it in the collection.

But this is problematic because you don't know how often it has to be
compiled, which extra programmes have to be used (e.g., makeindex, bibtex,
etc.). Weren't it possible to test whether doing latex on the dtx file
compiles without error and if so take the precompiled dvi or pdf file?

Have you spoken with Thomas Esser how he chooses the documentation file
for teTeX? I've never had problems with missing documentation files there.

Yours
Harald

--
Harald Harders                           Langer Kamp 8
Technische Universität Braunschweig      D-38106 Braunschweig