[tex-live] let's make some decisions

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Feb 9 15:12:28 CET 2004

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> George N. White III wrote:
>
> > A big bad company ports TL2010 and claims copywrite on the
> > docs, patents on the methods, and invokes the DMCA against anyone who
> > attempts a port. It would be a practical impossibility to have an open
> > source port, not because the bad guy is on solid legal ground, but
> > because the cost of going to court is prohibitive.
>
> Personally, I'd accept the risk, instead of paying good money to shyster
> lawyers now.  I don't have much time for the sleazy legal system which
> feeds on society like this. If someone in 2010 tells me to desist, well
> OK maybe I'll just shrug and go off to play some other game. Ultimately,
> its not a matter of life and death if Microsoft destroys TeX.....

Fair enough, but the decision affects both current and future TeX users.
As long as TeX remains in relative obscurity it probably won't attract
attention from the get-rich-quick-by-whatever-means crowd anyway.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
  Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada