[tex-live] Re: Bizarre perforce situation

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Feb 7 13:14:31 CET 2004

On Feb 7, 2004, at 12:07 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> I am guessing that the source of your continued frustration with this
> system is that the thing
> is not delivered as a unit, which all works together, but as two
> separately maintained trees which
> may or may not work together at a particular time. Usually, this does
> not matter, but at a time
> of serious changes in the programs which affect configuration files
> stored in the texmf tree then everything falls
> to pieces.

You were right on track (as you can see from my other message).

It would be good, I think, if the stuff in the texmf tree that is
linked to versions of the programs from Build would be separated from
the rest of the texmf tree.

I had to do that a while ago when I started to combine TL for programs
with teTeX for texmf. It was pretty easy and Thomas removed a few items
in his texmf tree that were binary-related.

This kind of a split makes Master independent from Build. The only
thing needed to make it work is a reorganisation of texmf.cnf, and
since we are doing that now anyway, this is the perfect moment to
create Build/Master independence as far as Master parts are oncerned
that are generated from Build by a make install.