[tex-live] Re: Missing texc.lpro

Thomas J. Kacvinsky tjk at ams.org
Thu Aug 19 15:21:16 CEST 2004

Hi all,

The basic gist of my problem with dvips Type 3 fonts is that /FontName
is null.  I would prefer that it contain the name of the PK file that
was read in.  For instance, /cmr10.300pk.  This is just a nice way of
record keeping.  I use the font names in a script I have written that
preflights PS files.  I could use the DVIPSBitmap comment.  However,
overloading definefont is much better from a consistency of code view.
(instead of one thing for dvips Type 3 fonts and other things for Type
1 or 42 fonts).

The /FontBBox in a dvips Type 3 font is all zeros, and I'd rather have
it contain the true bounding box of the font, in the coordinate system
the font is using.  My best guess is that dvips Type 3 fonts use a
slight variation of the dvips coordinate system because /FontMatrix is
[ 1 0 0 -1 0 0 ].

The reason why I concerned about the latter point is that I record font
size information to check for small sized type.  It's been a consistent
problem with my script that dvips Type 3 fonts do not have their size
reported correctly.  I'd like to fix that, but the best place to get the
correct information is form the font.  I feel that the necessary info is
not there.  If you have any information that would tell me how I can get
the right information without having to change how dvips writes out Type
3 fonts, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Regards,

Tom