[tex-live] cp8bit and old bugs

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Sep 18 18:47:39 CEST 2003

At 18:35 18/09/2003 +0400, Vladimir Volovich wrote:

>  HH> At 12:58 18/09/2003 +0400, Vladimir Volovich wrote:
>  >> in LaTeX, one doesn't need TCX nor enctex nor even 8-bit output to
>  >> files. other macro packages are not as advanced as latex and use
>  >> non-portable solutions (which are not really multilingual, BTW).
>
>  HH> i suppose that you're joking -)
>
>it was not a pure joke :) several times i looked at context, i was
>founding that it was not possible to process even cyrillic file
>flawlessly.
>
>i just tested with context included into current TeX Live depot, and
>tried to process the file samle.tex which was included into teTeX2.0
>(but is absent in current TeX Live), and it produced an error about
>undefined control sequence \cyrillicK (i've attached that file).

hm, will look into it (or actually, i depend on russian context users for
that since they defined the lists); thanks for noticing

>will context work right if the document will consist of parts written
>in different 8-bit encodings (when there will be auxiliary files
>written too)?

depends if you set expansion on, since internally named glyphs are used;
(on my agenda is an additional system which keeps track of more info in
auxiliary files, since encoding is just one issue; language and other
attributes are another one and this is quite associated to structure.
(implementing chinese and alike is much more complicated)

with regards to cyrillic, i cannot test that myself (cannot see if things
come out right) but there are russian users out there so it must be
possible -) one problem i found out is that it's quite hard to communicate
with users when each of them uses a different encoding and when tcx
translations and other input translations take place; in many cases users
who come from latex or other systems are not aware of such mechanisms.
Anyhow, not a topic for the tex live list.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl