[tex-live] Technical showstoppers for TL2003

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Sep 15 10:43:21 CEST 2003

            `No, it will not affect pool files, and yes, it will be compatible'

It will be incompatible insofar as the change is concerned.  Which is to
say, if the binaries are not recompiled, they will \write ^^ into output
files for 8-bit characters (by default).  Enough documents depend on
this that it will be noticed.

    Anyway. I can rebuild alpha-linux and i386-linux up to 25. Speptember,
    after this I am gone.

I hope that we will make the change in the source (whatever it turns out
to be) today or tomorrow at the latest, so we are still ready with the
image on 9/22 for production.