[tex-live] Technical showstopper

Petr Olsak petr at olsak.net
Mon Sep 15 14:43:04 CEST 2003

> I must be missing something.  I just tried it (on Linux), and the
> resulting .toc file for *both* TL7 and the current TL2003 contains is
> this:
>
> \contentsline {section}{\numberline {1}L'\'edition}{1}

This is the nice example of user confusion if TeX stay dependent on
system settings (locales). The change from TeX dependency of locales to
its independency (from TL7 to TL8) was debated in tex-implementors at ams.org
in January 2003 in the thread:

TeX and the UNIX locale

The result of this (big) discussion was to make TeX independent on
locales. The change was done in web2c TeX sources. The result of this
change is the Fabrice's problem.

Sorry, my notice is only "historical" notice, not the constructive
soulution.

Best regards

Petr Olsak