[tex-live] Technical showstoppers for TL2003

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Mon Sep 15 11:48:00 CEST 2003

> >We can specify a default tcx file with --default-translate-file which
> >is used if no -translate-file option is given.
>
> i'm not that sure if we can expect users to do that out of the blue (i.e.
> add command line args); i could add it to texexec, but that would not help
> non context users; so handling it via texmf.cnf is a better approach

I was not talking about how we can make things better than they are at
the moment. With "We can ..." I was describing the current situation.
That --default-translate-file already exists (even though --help does
not list it).

In fact, I have no idea how this issue should be adressed correctly.

> btw, how sensitive are old binaries for --whatever=something switches that
> are not yet supported in that binary, i.e. do they abort?

Yes, an unknown option causes an immediate abort.

> or what happens
> if no cp8bit is present

Nothing, I guess. But, I am not sure.

Thomas