[tex-live] copyright of texlive

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Sep 14 14:45:30 CEST 2003

At 19:15 13/09/2003 -0400, Karl Berry wrote:

>I find it easy to believe that it was a "standard" imposed by Springer
>production out of ignorance, and not out of malice.  However, that does
>not relieve them (and you, as the principal author) from having to make
>some remedy.  I know this is a huge hassle, but is that not reasonable?

publishers have (and are in many cases) lawyers and know pretty well what
they are doing, so i don't believe in ignoreance (nor malice); it's the way
they act esp when there is not that close a relationship with the authors
(i think that educational publishers are far more careful since they have a
more close relationship with authors i.e. groups of authors); to some
extent, it's the author's responsibility as well to keep an eye on it;
maybe there should be some 'instruction for authors of tex books' on the
tug/lugs home pages; i would not be surprised if the publishers answer
would be: 'we asked the author and he/she said that it was okay'

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl