[tex-live] Technical showstoppers for TL2003

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Sat Sep 13 20:40:31 CEST 2003

> won't that cause incompatibilities in other ways?  I mean, how about a
> simple plain TeX: \immediate\openout1 = foo.exa \write1{L'été est
> fini.}

> Does that write ^^ notation for you?  It does for me, in both TL7 and
> TL2003, and that is good, because that is what the TeXbook says should
> happen.

TL7 won't give you this result if your locale is set to FR_fr (or
whatever syntax you should use). It will write an 'é' in the file.

I agree that it is wrong from the TeXbook point of view, but there are a
couple of LaTeX packages that write and input  files verbatim like the
ones based on 'comment', some of them for example to typeset exams
with/without the answers and stuff like this.

At the minimum, this change is not (yet) documented.

Fabrice