[tex-live] Technical showstoppers for TL2003

Daniel Flipo Daniel.Flipo at univ-lille1.fr
Sat Sep 13 19:34:33 CEST 2003

Hi all,

Yes, I warned on the tcx files problem in LaTeX on this list
some time ago (I 'll get the exact message on Monday
at the Uni, I can't from home).  I remember, I suggested then
that the option '-translate-file=cpx8bit.tcx' should  somehow be
included by default when calling LaTeX for TL2003 to behave
as TL7.

The problem occurs in LaTeX --- not in .toc files as Fabrice
wrongly said --- but when 8bit chars are written to a file
(é is written as ^^e9) and input back verbatim.
This is ---for instance ---- what the 'example'
environment from the lshort files does. I append a short
test file.  With TL2003, you get  ^^e9 printed instead of 'é',
with TL7 you got 'é' printed as expected.

Hans Hagen also told me that he has problems with tocs
in ConTeXt, I'll let him or Patrick comment on that as I am
a beginner in ConTeXt.

Daniel Flipo