[tex-live] urw once again (and pfm)

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Thu Jun 5 05:47:48 CEST 2003

>Change 3140 on 2003/06/04 by rahtz at spqr-dell
>
>	put back what we killed from urwstd

Do we really need all that stuff with .vf, .tfm and .sty files?
URW fonts (with KB names) are finally corrected on CTAN and they
serve as replacements of standard Adobe fonts (see download35.map).
Now we have for TL urwstd package:
1. urw/base35 as on CTAN (but missing README.base35)
2. urw/antiqua as on CTAN
3. urw/grotesq as on CTAN
4. other stuff (vf, tfm, sty, fd, map and config files, but only for
   base35) ~3 MB
Perhaps it would be more clear making for 4. another package,
say urw35vf (like urwvn) which requires installing urwstd.

----
About .pfm files: they are sometimes in
1. texmf/fonts/pfm/<supplier>/<family>/  or in
2. texmf/fonts/type1/<supplier>/<family>/ (together with .pfb files)

Variant 1. is unusable at all when installing a font in Windows (and
OS/2, and ?), e.g. for other applications. I think that's just a mistake
in TDS layout putting .pfm "somewhere", without rethinking usability ;-).
Variant 2. is OK, and since .pfm files are rather small, I'd suggest
moving all .pfm files (not so many) to fonts/type1/<supplier>/<family>/

Any objections?

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl