[tex-live] iso images notes

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Jul 16 08:39:19 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 04:37, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:
> Having quite the same troubles as Norbert, I've slightly modified
> MakeImages.sh (#3352), e.g, for $makedemo section:
> tpm/scheme/* copied (win setup needs that)
> removing texlive-full.tpm and lists/texlive-full.scheme
> to prevent selecting it when someone runs installation programs.

good idea

> As for "demo CD" we have to consider the main problem: there are no
> specific stuff for windows on that CD (xemtex etc.). Fabrice told me that
> it is runable directly from the CD, but we have no place. Anyway, without
> TeX editor and gs, demo cd is hardly usable for windows users.

I don't see why. you can use any editor, and use pdftex instead of
tex...

if it was doable, I'd suggest that a demo CD should have no MF, no
dvips, no windvi, no TeX, no Omega etc etc. Just the "pdfetex" binary.
otherwise we simply provide a time capsule demo of what life was like in
the 1980s...

> So again the question: what to zap for "demo"? The main candidate is
> cm-super (of course, still available on DVD and installable from cd-inst).
> I'll have lm fonts with full support for ec+tc today or tomorrow, so for
> most it would be good alternative.

the big packages are as follows:

9236    koma-script
9368    musixtex
10592   ltxbase
13432   catalogue
14912   tex4htk
17252   cjk
18632   context
21068   texlive-source
69820   cm-super
87568   cb

I suggest that musixtex should certainly go, probably along with the
sadly bloated "cb"

sebastian