[tex-live] dynamic libs (was: time to compile)

Thomas Esser te@dbs.uni-hannover.de
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:32:54 +0100

>       x_tool_libs="-Wl,-Bstatic -lXaw -Wl,-Bdynamic -lXpm -lXmu -lXt"
>
> This isn't my bailiwick any more, but ... those options cannot just be
> hardwired in.
> 1) Neither -Wl, nor -Bstatic/dynamic are the right syntax for all linkers.
> 2) -lXpm does not exist on some systems.
> 3) linking Xaw statically seems wrong to me anyway.

Karl, you are absolutely right. That's why this has never found its
way into the Makefile. Still, this is of some use if done "by hand"
on systems where it makes sense.

I guess that it was the transition of XFree86 version 3 to version 4
where all libraries have kept their version number except libXaw. Linking
that one lib statically helps to improve the compatibility of the
binary. On Linux, it used to run on much more systems if linked that way.

My suggestion was not intended to be for general use, but for use by
*one* person who provides the linux binaries for TeX Live.

Thomas