[tex-live] texmf trees directory layout

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Feb 26 00:51:06 CET 2003

On Die, 25 Feb 2003, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> in essence, you want me to make a new top-level tree,
> say "texmf-web2c", which contains the binary part of
> current  "texmf/web2c", and add that to the search path
> in texmf.cnf? I suppose its no problem. its just the pool
> files, right?

I have a similar problem: I want to use the texlive master tree, but
read only used from thex. Then local installed packages (mainly stuff
which is not allowed to enter texlive due to license problems), and then
those files which are automatically installed from texconfig init and
similar, this could also be the place of pool files etc.

I have it solved at the moment like this:
* /usr/TeX/bin/<arch>/*
	binaries compiled from source.development or source
* /usr/TeX/texmf
	only my texmf.cnf, nothing else, really NOTHING
	This texmf.cnf gives
		/src/p4-base/Master/texmf
		/usr/TeX/texmf-var
		/usr/TeX/texmf-local
	as paths
* /usr/TeX/texmf-var
	here all the stuff from texconfig is installed, I also put
	pool files from the source.development binaries here
* /usr/TeX/texmf-local
	my stuff as explained above.

/usr/TeX/texmf and /usr/TeX/texmf-local can be merged of course!

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at>         Technische Universität Wien