[tex-live] xdvi and postscript fonts question

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW at gust.org.pl
Fri Feb 21 06:41:06 CET 2003

Gerben Wierda <Sherlock at rna.nl> wrote on Feb 21:

>I would like to support X11 on Mac OS X with my TeX redistribution.
>This seems to work except for Postscript fonts. Can someone explain to
>me what is going on here and how I should go about fixing this? It
>looks like some mapping problem.
>
>Here is the info:
>
>When I add \usepackage{times} to sample2e.tex it compiles well, but
>opening it in xdvi gives the following error message:
>
>kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+264/600
>--dpi 864 ptmb7t

My first thought was that you should rather use:
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{times}
because texmf/xdvi/xdvi.cfg lists only 8r.enc, and such reencoding files
are already listed in ps2pk.map (used by xdvi) and other map files. But...
> for font 6 = ptmr7t scaled 1728.
> VF: font 0 = ptmr8r scaled 1728.
so the real name for the driver's map file is now ptmr8r.

Times family fonts for dvips, pdftex and dvipdfm can be downloaded (embeded)
to the resulting output, but since they are rather standard for the "devices"
(PS printers, GhostScript viewing/printing, or AcrobatReader),
we have only references like TeX's tfm/vf names -> real PostScript
names in the _default_ map files for the those drivers (to say briefly).
Xdvi with T1lib rendering machinery uses in our case ps2pk.map,
which should contain not only name maping, but also PS font program
to render (pfb file installed).
So you have to install urwstd package which contains 35 standard PS
fonts in Type1 (pfb) format.

>and a lot more like this one. Running the DVi file through dvicopy
>first fixes this. Dvicopy reports:

Irrelevant, since dvicopy lists calls to fonts according
to the TeX's names (tfm files). How it is used by device drivers like
dvips, xdvi, etc., depends on map files.

>I should add that I found and ran t1mapper but without success:
>
>t1mapper -lns -gs /usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.00/lib/Fontmap
>/usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts
>/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/gs

Not needed if you have installed urwstd package. GS Fontmap lists
the same fonts we have in urwstd (but with different file names).
I know well that it can be some redundance, but as GS is for me a general
purpose program, I'd prefer having clean and running TeX sofware not
only for me, but also for BLU.
As for the above t1mapper, you should perhaps changing in web2c/updmap.cnf
LW35 URWkb
LW35 URW
but I didn't checked it ;-)

Ps. Sebastian, when installing urwstd package we have also directives
for updmap run. Do we really need it in the case that standard scheme used
in updmap.cfg is:
#   URW:     URW fonts with "vendor" filenames (e.g. n019064l.pfb)
#   URWkb:   URW fonts with "berry" filenames (e.g. uhvbo8ac.pfb)
LW35 URWkb

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw at gust.org.pl