[tex-live] texlive 8

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Wed Feb 5 14:48:03 CET 2003

> One other thought -- this may be heretical, but does anyone actually
> use the "live" part of TL?  I know that I at least have always simply
> copied the whole thing to my disk.  CD is too slow and inconvenient.

This is a good question. I tried to make it really live and usable under Windows for
demonstration purposes. You can typeset a complete document without
prior installation of anything. That means some minimal setup occurs
locally and it is dismissed whenever you want. WinShell is run and
documents can be typed in, compiled and viewed. I think it is good for
advertising TeX.

Not that I want to stand up too much for the live part, because the disk
space problem is annoying too. Just to remind people that TeX deserves
(and needs) to be advertised.

I wonder if a dvd makes more
sense than grabbing the extra packages from the internet. Or rather both
solutions  are of equal practicability:  you may have  a dvd reader, you
may have an internet access, you certainly have a cd-rom. Extra packages
should be available from CTAN, ready to install.

Fabrice