[tex-live] Re: IfFileExists problem? Only on Mac OS X?

Gerben Wierda Sherlock@rna.nl
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 13:33:17 +0200

On Saturday, September 28, 2002, at 11:31 , Robin Fairbairns wrote:

>> \ifx \eurofontname\eurofontnone
>> \IfFileExists{europs.sty}
>>    {\RequirePackage{europs}}
>>    {\ClassError{g-brief}
>>      {Can't load package europs.sty !!!}}
>> \fi
>
> and
>
>> ! Class g-brief Error: Can't load package europs.sty !!!.
>>
>> See the g-brief class documentation for explanation.
>> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>>
>> l.388 \fi
>>
>> ?
>>
>> The same happens when I remove marvosym.sty and run texhash, it will
>> complain about not being able to load marvosym. The file is definitely
>> not there, but I get an error because g-brief is trying to load it
>> anyway. \IfFileExists seems not to work here.
>
> it's a latex error if it's actually tried to load the file.  a g-brief
> error arises only if the file isn't there (as detected by
> \iffileexists)
>
> so \if...ts _is_ working.

Are you sure? On my system, europs.sty does *not* exist. So the
ClassError should never be called if \IfFileExists works properly.

>  mind you, i don't see how one could claim
> that the code is ... surely loading marvosym (which defines a euro
> symbol) ought to change \eurofontname?  and it plainly isn't (or you
> wouldn't have seen the europs error, would you?).

This is beside my more simple and fundamenal problem: europs.sty does
*not* exist on my system but \IfFileExists claims it does.

I would really like for someone to remove europs.sty from his system
temporarily and then try to typeset the tex file.