[tex-live] Re: Problem with \textsl and times, can this be confirmed?

Tomas G. Rokicki rokicki@CS.Stanford.EDU
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:54:04 -0700

Okay, something *very* strange is going on.

If I take the partial Nimbus font out of that document (everything
from %%BeginFont to %%EndFont), and then build a new PostScript
document by just including that font and adding

72 72 moveto
/Times-Roman findfont 20 scalefont setfont
(This is just a big old test.) show
showpage

to the end (so I never even *use* Nimbus), well, the Times-Roman
stuff doesn't show up correctly---in GhostScript.

I think the reason is because the partial font downloading is
redefining Nimbus (as it is allowed to).  But GhostScript is
probably using Nimbus *as* its Times-Roman, so redefining Nimbus
is breaking GhostScript's Times-Roman.

When I print either this testone.ps, or the supposedly buggy dvips
output from the original file, to a real Adobe PostScript printer,
it works fine.

So, I'm not sure there's anything dvips can do differently, if the
culprit is indeed that redefining the Nimbus font breaks
Times-Roman for GhostScript.

Thoughts?  Should we bring Peter in on this?

-tom