[tex-live] Re: Problem with \textsl and times

Gerben Wierda Sherlock@rna.nl
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:41:04 +0200

On Friday, September 13, 2002, at 04:15 , Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

> Gerben Wierda <Sherlock@rna.nl> supplies a small sample LaTeX file
> to reproduce a problem that he found: latex+dvips+ghostscript produces
> a .ps file with dropped characters.
>
> I've run the test on a local system with LaTeX2e <2000/06/01>, dvips
> 5.60.1,
> and gs 7.21, and got correct output.
>
> Gerben, can you put your .dvi file on your ftp site as well?  Then we
> can find out whether the fault is in your dvips, or in your LaTeX setup.

The problems seems in how I call dvips. By default I call dvips with the
following flags:

	-u +psfonts.map -u +pdftex.map

when I want maximum use of type1 fonts and

	-u psfonts.map

when I want minimum use of type 1 fonts.

With the latter, I get correct output, with the former (which normally
works, I never encountered this problem before) I get this problem. I am
unsure if this is the result of the recent changes Thomas made to the
updmap system (and I wonder now at all if with the new updmap system I
can still do a dynamic choice between two ways of running dvips and
how). Is that at all possible? Thomas?