[tex-live] information

TUG Office office@tug.org
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:46:36 -0800

Dear Lucio,

At 12:56 PM 10/28/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Could you tell me where I can get information about installing and after
>using TEX. I got the subscription Tex Live 7 CDs  1 and 2. I really do not
>know what one of the 2 CDs should I use to install TEX. I have lots of
>problems to load disk one. It looks that I have to use a dos operation
>system. I do not know what packages to use nor what the word package
>means. I try to install the small installation and does not work.

Which CD you install depends on what your operating system is.  Here is a
summary:

CD1 supports:

Intel Linux
Mac OS X
Windows 9X/ME/NT/2K/XP (Win32)

CD2 supports:

Compaq Alpha-Linux
Compaq Alpha-OSF
Irix
Solaris
AIX

Normally a card is inserted with the CD's prior to mailing, indicating the
above.  I apologize if you did not receive it.

Yes.  WinEdt is a popular choice.  Please see: http://winedt.com

>Where besides the Book by Donald Knuth I find  how to code the typeset
>codes for a Math manuscript. Any help in this subject will be appreciated.

Here are a couple of URL's that may help:

http://silmaril.ie/downloads/ --  click on "The LaTeX Brochure"

http://www.tug.org.in/tutorials.html

The newsgroup "comp.text.tex" is a very good resource as well.

I do hope this helps.

Robin Laakso
TUG Office Manager
TeX Users Group