[tex-live] Czech support, ugly but efficient solution

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@guests.ipipan.gda.pl
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 04:12:07 +0200 (CEST)

Petr Olsak <olsak@math.feld.cvut.cz> wrote:
> OK. Who is responsible to "generic hyphen patterns library"?

Fortunatelly there is no `Central Commitee' or like... ;-)
I think that best patterns for Czech and Slovak can be prepared only by
CSTUG members and uploaded to CTAN, e.g., ftp://ftp.dante.de/incoming
followed by a short message sent to ctan@dante.de (Cc: ctan-ann@dante.de).
CTAN guys are enough competent and kind to put it immediately into
language/hyphenation (or, if you wish, to language/czech with a link to
language/hyphenation/).

> The disadvantage of your suggestion is that if we improve the Slovak
> hyphen patterns in CSTeX, the change will be not applied in the "generic
> hyphen patterns library" automatically.

See above. If you send it to CTAN, all TeX developers would be informed.
It is good time to check what's on CTAN concerning Czech and Slovak.

> If the maintainer of the "generic hyphen patterns library" does not accept
> my one-line solution which makes the cz|sh patterns depend to csplain,

Nobody will touch it. It only depends on you (CSTUG), so please, do
not hesitate. For me it's quite natural and OK that you have freedom
for special treatment of csplain and cslatex, so I can only make
suggestion to clean the stuff dedicated for all other people (e.g. those
using latex+babel, even if I do not use that ;-). Please observe that
the problem was reported by Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh@sharif.edu> on
09 Oct 2002.

All the best,

--