[tex-live] latex, babel, greek
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 22:09:00 +0330 (IRT)
Well, I just checked things, and as far as I can tell, there is no mention
in the CTAN's LaTeX base package that babel must be included with LaTeX,
and even it is mentioned specifically in 'legal.txt' that:
The use of LaTeX is unrestricted.
So there is no need to remove LaTeX entirely, and that brings us back to
babel, simplifying the problem a lot. These are the options I can think
1. Apostolos agrees to change the license.
2. Johannes agrees to remove greek from babel.
3. We remove babel from TeX Live.
There may or may not be other options of:
4. We replace the greek files with files giving warning messages about
the licensing problem, and a pointer to where one can download them.
We probably won't be breaking LPPL since the files will not be a
derivative work or a modified file. It will be a new file, done from
scratch. (I'm not sure if this is legal, since babel may be
considered a whole Program in LPPL terms, and it even contains a
5. Sebastian tells that a license like babel's greek is OK for
TeX Live. That will render it off-topic here, and will take us to
teTeX, debian, or some other mailing list.
6. We forget the thing altogether, waiting for the day some other guy
raises the issue.