[tex-live] make clean

Gerben Wierda Sherlock@rna.nl
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:21:00 +0100

On Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002, at 21:47 Europe/Amsterdam, Sebastian Rahtz
wrote:

>> Definitely does not remove source.development/TeX/texk/web2c/mfextra.c
>> or source.development/TeX/texk/web2c/mpextra.c on my system and it
>> should.
>
> isnt your situation what "make distclean" is for?

Yes, maybe.

I would say that make distclean should do a make clean + removal of
anything that has been created by the configure stage. Make clean
should remove enough to force a complete rebuild from basic sources
without reconfiguring. But maybe others would think otherwise.

Two ways:

	p4 sync somedate
	reconfigure
	make clean
	make install
	p4 sync someotherdate
	reconfigure
	make clean
	make install

and

	p4 sync somedate
	make distclean
	reconfigure
	make install
	p4 sync someotherdate
	make distclean (*)
	reconfigure
	make install

The first has the advantage that it is certain there is a Makefile and
also that it is the *current* Makefile that decides what needs to be
removed, not the Makefile of the previous unrelated configure (*).

I can live with the second one, but my personal preference would be
that make distclean would be make clean + rmeove configure stuff (a
clear separation of configuration and compilation is preferred, IMO,
'make extras' is for instance 'broken' in that respect as it is a make
that entails configuration)