[tex-live] possible withdrawal of TeX Live

Karl Berry karl@freefriends.org
Fri, 31 May 2002 11:34:21 -0400

    By the way, I totally agree with Frank proposition that every single
    active feature be displayed with the banner, but do we have time
    currently to fix all of them ?

Not in my opinion.  It would take some thinking about which features
should be mentioned and which shouldn't.  I don't think most users would
appreciate several thousand characters being added to the banner if
`every single feature' is taken literally.

    It will add special{src:filename:line} everywhere in you dvi file,

I see.  This has the potential for doing bad things with page breaks and
line breaks. I'm sure we've all spent many many hours debugging where
whatsits are generated in our documents.  I don't think it would be
right to say `This is TeX' with such a feature turned on.  Whether we
did it last year is pretty much immaterial, seems to me.

So, I think calling it src-special-TeX (or TeX+src-specials, since
surely the `TeX' part is still more important than the `src-specials'
part) and recompiling is the way to go.  TL7 will be out there for a
year (longer really), it's worth it to fix it, now that we know about it.

Just my opinion.  Easy for me to say, I'm not doing any of the work :).