[tex-live] texmf.cnf in source.development

Kaja P. Christiansen kaja@daimi.au.dk
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:18:17 +0100

I played a bit with the newly made binaries and was surprised to see

  This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211 (Web2C 7.3.7)
  (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

The problem relates to texmf.cnf in source.development:

 - building process creates texmf-var, but not texmf-local
 - formats are loaded to texmf-var (as they should)
 - texmf.cnf doesn't use texmf-var in TEXMF tree:
   TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

ergo, old formats from TEXMFMAIN are used instead.

Either loading new formats to texmf-local, or defining and using texmf-var
(i.e. VARTEXMF) for new .fmt files (which I prefer :-) would solve it.
Comments?

Kaja