[tex-live] TL and texmf-local

Kaja P. Christiansen kaja@daimi.au.dk
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:35:59 +0100

Peter Flynn wrote:

 > >>You seemed to be implying that this stuff is referenced in texmf.cnf
 > >>as VARTEXMF. If so, what is TEXMFLOCAL used for?
 > >

 > > hmm. maybe you are right. TEXMFLOCAL does contain
 > > local fonts I suppose.
 >
 > It's where we've been going blue in the face for 5+ years telling
 > people that's where to install their additional packages etc. I
 > thought we didn't want them modifying the main tree for this...

The scenario I've been happily using for years is (this applies to
Unix setup):
 TEXMFLOCAL  for site developed styles/packages, locally purchased
             commercial fonts, relevant updates or additions from CTAN.
 VARTEXMF    for .fmt files and on-the-fly user generated fonts
 $HOME/texmf for user's own additions

Thus, when the main tree is updated, new .fmt files go to VARTEXMF,
while everything in TEXMFLOCAL stays, except for additions from CTAN
which need to be investigated. Actually, I like to to remove everything
in VARTEXMF before upgrading, to avoid eventual font checksum errors.

Kaja