[tex-live] Documentation

Lars Madsen daleif@imf.au.dk
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:47:27 +0100 (MET)

I noticed that there aren't that many documentation files in the /doc dir
in TeXLive 7. Anyway I have had to run LaTeX on several .dtx filen form
the source dir, in order to get the documentation/information I needed.

I was just woundering if there existed some form of tool that would
actually do this for every .dtx file in the /source dir and place the .dvi
files in the /doc structure.

It's also because the casual user doesn't know anything about .dtx files.
And whenever he or she wants some information they'll go to the /doc
directory and in a lot of cases there aren't any information there. They
need to latex the sources themselfs.

This is not a very good solution. I know there is limited room on the CD,
but I think it would be nice if such a tool was present, to be used by
those who install on their harddisk.

As it is now texdoc (on my system, maybe I did something wrong) usually
just gives me the HTML version (from CTAN) which is of no practical use.

ideas?

/daleif