[tex-live] a bit of mess with unix binaries and man pages

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe@math.utah.edu
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:45:22 -0600 (MDT)

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vsu.ru> writes on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:07:05 +0400
>> i think that sparc-solaris2.7 binaries could be removed, because
>> sparc-solaris2.8 are likely to work on sparc-solaris2.7 too.

That is absolutely NOT the case.  You can run x.y binaries on
x.y+1, but not the reverse.  We have evolved here from SunOS 3.x
back in 1987 through 8 versions of Solaris.  At each upgrade,
we have found that there are many executables build on the
new system that will run on the old one.

TeX-live should include only the Solaris 2.7 binaries, if
space is at a premium; if not, include both 2.7 and 2.8 ones.

- Center for Scientific Computing       FAX: +1 801 585 1640, +1 801 581 4148 -
- University of Utah                    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB        beebe@acm.org  beebe@computer.org -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe@ieee.org                    -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -