[tex-live] images

James H. Cloos Jr. cloos@jhcloos.com
03 Apr 2002 08:35:22 -0500

>>>>> "Sebastian" == Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

Sebastian> someone remind me how to mount .iso images as Linux file systems.....

        mount -o loop,ro -t iso9660 foobar.iso /mnt

given fairly recent versions of the tools will do it.

If your mount(8) is too old, you'll have to use losetup(8) manually to
link the loop device to the image and then mount that, eg:

        losetup /dev/loop0 foobar.iso
        mount -o ro -t iso9660 /dev/loop0 /mnt
        # and then when you are done:
        umount /mnt
        losetup -d /dev/loop0

But I'm sure the former will work for any box installed or upgraded
w/in that last 3 to 5 years or so.

Even the -t iso9660 shouldn't be needed; it can autodetect the fs type
in most cases.

For this to work, however, you do need CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y (or =m)
in the kernel's config.  It should modprobe(8) automatically when the
loop device is accessed if it is =m, and modules.conf is well configured.

[A lot more explanation than you probably wanted....]

-JimC