[tex-live] TeXLive 6

Martin Ward Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:38:38 +0100 (BST)

TeX Live 6 arrived recently and I must say I am very disappointed
in this latest effort.

First of all, the long-standing bug(s) in texconfig have not been fixed:
it still crashes on *all* the Linux terminals I have tried it on.
It prints the following control codes before crashing:

Starting dialog utility... ESC[HESC[2JESC(BESC)0ESC[?1049hESC[1;24rESC[m^OESC[4l
ESC[?7hESC[?1hESC=ESC[HESC[2J

Secondly, I chose to install all the collections (but not any extra languages),
the install seemed to go OK, but it failed on trying to recreate the formats.

It seems that the latex format tries to load the file
texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/frhyph.tex which had not been installed.

Next I tried to set the mode with "texconfig mode jetiiisi"
which gave some highly informative error messages:

expr: syntax error
/home/TeX/bin/i386-linux/texconfig: test: -lt: unary operator expected
expr: non-numeric argument
expr: non-numeric argument
expr: non-numeric argument
expr: non-numeric argument